- What is SoTL? STLHE.(2020). Retrieved 15 October 2020, from https://www.stlhe.ca/sotl/what-is-sotl/
- Chin, M. (2020). Research Guides: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SOTL): Home. Retrieved 29 September 2020, from https://researchguides.smu.edu.sg/c.php?g=422158&p=2879817
- Recognising Excellence in Educational Research | Centre for Teaching Excellence. (2020). Retrieved 24 September 2020, from https://cte.smu.edu.sg/educational-research/recognising-excellence-educational-research
- Felten, P. (2013). Principles of Good Practice in SoTL. Teaching & Learning Inquiry: The ISSOTL Journal,1(1), 121-125. doi:10.2979/teachlearninqu.1.1.121
- SCHOLARSHIP OF TEACHING AND LEARNING (SoTL). Retrieved 3 February 2021, from https://teaching.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SoTL-Brochure-Aug-2018.pdf
Faculty members are encouraged to reflect and research on their teaching and learning practices. CTE provides support in the following areas:
- Evidence-based and literature-informed consultations.
- Sharing of good practices to evaluate the impact of technology adoption on learning outcomes (for projects developed with CTE).
- Platforms for faculty members to share their educational research findings with the community.
Please check with the Institutional Review Board (IRB) secretariat at irb [at] smu.edu.sg for guidelines on protecting human subjects involved in research projects.
For additional information on faculty development opportunities, please refer to our Webinars and outreach : https://cte.smu.edu.sg/node/2401
MOE Tertiary Education Research Fund
External funding for educational research is available on a competitive basis from the Ministry of Education (MOE). The MOE Tertiary Education Research Fund (TRF) aims to promote higher education innovation and research.
SMU has been awarded the MOE TRF grant for the following projects:
|Year Awarded||Project Title||Project Team|
|2020||Not for Girls?: Gender Imbalance in STEM and Its impact on Female Students’ Creative Performance||Lead PI: Associate Professor Cheng Chi-Ying (SOSS)
Co-PI: Associate Professor Cheng Shih-Fen (SCIS)
Co-PI: Mr Lee Yeow Leong (SCIS)
Co-PI: Ms Vandana Ramachandra Rao (SCIS)
Collaborator: Dr Amy Lim Jia Ying (Murdoch University)
|An evaluation of SMU’s experiential learning programme (“SMU-X”) and its multifaceted impacts on students and graduates||Lead PI: Associate Professor Yang Hwajin (SOSS)
Co-PI: University Professor Arnoud De Meyer (LKCSB)
Co-PI: Professor Gary Pan (SOA)
Co-PI: Associate Professor Mark Chong (LKCSB)
Co-PI: Mr Kevin Koh (SMUX)
Collaborator: Associate Professor Lieven Demeester (LKCSB)
Preparing Accountants of the Future: Evaluating a Programme in Accounting Data and Analytics.
Lead PI: Associate Professor Seow Poh Sun (SOA)
|2016||Learning Analytics on Student Feedback to Improve Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.||Lead PI: Assistant Professor Swapna Gottipati (SIS)
PI: Professor Venky Shankararaman (SIS)
Collaborator: Dr Sandy Gan (CTE)
|When Academic Cultures Clash – An Exploration of Creativity Benefits of Doing Double Major.||PI: Assistant Professor Jennifer Tong (SOSS)
Co-PI: Assistant Professor Ivy Lau (SOSS)
|2015||Evaluating SMU-X Pedagogy: An Innovative Approach to Prepare University Students with Future Work Skills.||PI: Associate Professor Gary Pan (SOA)
Co-PI: Associate Professor Seow Poh Sun (SOA)
Co-PI: Mr Tan Gan Hup (SMU-X)
Co-PI: Ms Koh Su-fen Grace (SMU-X)
For enquires on the MOE TRF and grant call, please contact the Office of Research and Tech Transfer (ORTT) at ortt [at] smu.edu.sg.